In the last few years, many things have happened. The pandemic, the lockdowns, the recession and the layoffs. It’s important to diversify your income streams now more than ever before. And tech side hustles are the best way to do that.
I’ve built 5 different revenue streams for myself and almost everything started as a tech side hustle.
In this article, I’ll share more than 100+ ideas of tech side hustles and online side hustles. You can start these remotely, online, working from home, or anywhere you want to be.
In my case, I’m writing this blog post from Bali 😉
And that’s really what side hustles can give you – freedom!
Freedom of time, money, and location.
Why start a tech side hustle?
And this is why I love side hustles, especially tech side hustles that can be done remotely.
If that’s not enough, here are some more reasons to start a side hustle:
- Side hustles allow you explore your passions
- Tech side hustles allow you to work from anywhere you want
- With a side hustle, you can diversify your income streams
- Side hustles are a great way to fuel your entrepreneurial footprint and validate ideas
- Side hustles are also marketing tools and work as an alternative way to generate leads for your business and channels to attract your target audience.
That’s not all. Side hustles also have the potential of going BIG: Groupon, Airbnb, Twitter, Instagram, AppSumo, Khan Academy, WeWork and Slack were all side hustles!
I’ve been involved in creating multiple side hustles for clients (consulting) or additional revenue streams for my self.
And here’s the list of 101 side hustle ideas I’ve either brainstormed or executed over the past years.
100+ Tech Side Hustles
- Simple Web Scraper Tool
- Net Worth Calculator & Tracker
- Deal Aggregator
- Random ‘X’ generator tool
- Custom merchandise
- Quiz-based apps
- Marketing Checklists
- Technology Checklists
- Startup Checklists
- Email Course using ActiveCampaign
- Stack-based Directory
- Typeform-based Questionnaire
- Blog Series Documenting a Live Campaign
- Online Coaching
- Collection Board Website Like a Pinboard
- Online Magazine Monthly Subscription
- Mini TA-focused Search Engine
- NGO Driven From Main Business Profits
- Influencer Directory
- Freelancer Directory
- Startups Directory
- Price Comparison App
- Paid newsletters with ConvertKit
- Marketing Audits
- Tech Audits
- Startup Audits
- General Audits
- Offline Group Building & Activities
- Start a Web Hosting Services as a Reseller
- Freebie Curator
- Publish Ebooks
- Pill Tracker
- Drop shipping with Shopify
- First Aid Checklist
- Online First Aid Course
- Destination-Wise Checklists for Travelers
- Interest Amount Calculator
- “Books to Read Before you Die” Checklists & Directory
- Become an Influencer
- Cocktail Recipe Directory
- Tinder for ‘X’ app
- Uber for ‘X’ app
- Dog Name Generator
- Cat Name Generator
- Startup Name Generator
- Curated Newsletter with Affiliate Links
- Random Travel Destination Suggestion App
- What’s hot and new on Netflix?
- What’s hot on Reddit?
- What’s hot on ‘X’?
- Online Teaching On Udemy
- Online Teaching on SkillShare
- Social Media Design Service
- Logo Design Service
- Phone Cases Store
- Design Landing Pages as a Service
- Virtual Assistance
- Sell Premium Photos Online
- WordPress-based Websites
- Online Consultation
- Project Management Tool for ‘X’
- Job Board for ‘X’
- WP Plugin Development
- Start a YouTube channel
- Hosting Reseller
- Bucket List for ‘X’
- Idea Generator for ‘X’
- Sell Subscriptions on Shopify
- One ‘X’ a Day
- Random Quote Generator
- Quotes on ‘X’
- Hashtags Generator
- Font Suggestor
- Chrome Extension for ‘X’
- Stock Images Curator
- Template for ‘X’
- The Ultimate List of ‘X’
- Co-working Space Finder
- Company Culture Quiz
- Engagement Rate Calculator
- Ad Budget Calculator
- Provide Web Design Services (Use DesignModo)
- Best Emails Directory
- App or Website Quiz
- Website/App Budget Calculator
- Provide SEO Services (Use SEMRush)
- Project ‘X’ Budget Calculator
- ProductHunt for ‘X’
- Groupon for ‘X’
- Visa Guide for ‘X’ Country
- Investing Checklist for ‘X’ investment
- An Event Calendar for ‘X’
- Productivity Timer
- Game Development
- Generate Ideas as a Service
- Top Alternatives for ‘X’ Suggestor
- Trello-based Ideaboards
- The Ultimate Guide to ‘X’
- A Collection of Pitch Decks
- A Collection of ‘X’
- A Map for ‘X’
- Online Subscription-for-Content Website
- Paid Strategy Sessions
- Paid Consulting Session
- Newsletter-Based Community Building
- The Playbook of ‘X’
- The Product Launch Checklist
- The Best ‘X’ from 2018
- Video Series on One ‘X’ a Day
- 100 Days of ‘X’
- Affiliate Marketing for SaaS Products
You May Also Like: 10 Ways to Make Money Online as a Content Creator
Like the tech side hustles above?
That’s not all..
Let’s look at the contributions of creative tech side hustles from some of my friends.
Tech side hustles from our community
Abhash Kumar – Head of Marketing at SpringWorks
1. A highly-curated, focused session on solving business problems for a select set of people. It can be a great way to generate leads for your agency business. Bring 10 people together and lead a case-study style 3-4 hour session where participants solve each other’s problems.
2. A newsletter that curates and sends the top events to attend for a particular week – can be based on a particular niche or theme. Even at Springworks, we work on anywhere between 3-5 side projects that can get us a new set of users and also eventually feed into the main products. CrimeMonitor – a tool to get notified if you have any pending court cases and RefCheck – RefCHECK will issue a one-pager Reference Check with a thorough understanding of the candidate.
Deepan Siddhu – Director at Neil Patel Digital India
“Great effort Rishabh. I propose WordPress templates, Top 10 Product Reviews, Device Mockup Generator as other tech side hustles for this list”
Anatu Das – Founder at Creative Filament
Great list 👍🏻 I’m working on my own tech side hustles too – Customized CMS built with Laravel, Price comparison web app, A wildlife photography blog integrated with a forum. These are in my to-do list this year.
Salman Ravoof – Content Creator at WPMU DEV
More tech side hustle ideas:
1. A list app but only for links. And the lists should be shareable. It can be anything: GIFs, Videos, Shopping links, etc.
2. GIFs Creator which can pull the free image and vector resources across the web. And the GIFs live on to be used by everyone else.
3. Launch a WordPress website in 5 mins. This can be done through Digital Ocean or AWS as a backend, but it needs to be more intuitive and managed. Most managed hosts do exactly this but charge like $20+ for just creating $5 DO droplets.
4. Zapier + Anything – I’m still mind-blown by the possibilities here.
5. A replacement for FB and all its products (just kidding 😛 )
Kumar Anirudha – Co-Founder at Acyclic Labs
1. Bots (FB, twitter, telegram) to manage members and post updates.
2. News aggregator site. It can also be extended to become a newsletter.
3 Alexa voice apps. A lot can be done with this.
4. Email app with filters to notify on specific stuff. This would need a custom SMTP server.
5. P2P video chat.
6. Chat aggregation app. An app that can connect all my chats from WhatsApp, telegram, facebook messenger, signal, slack, discord and so on into one single window. If possible also reply from here.
On the whole, those are some of the ideas you can start working on – expert verified!
Another side hustle that I can think of is a Reddit Scrapper to get the best possible answers related to any topic. Most of the Subreddits are now messed up with general question answers.
My Side Project Ideas Including Building Informational Products in Targeted Niche, Affiliate Marketing on a Hyper-Targeted Audience. Btw Great List and Would love to know more about your side project ideas.
Awesome list! Very true, my entire business was a side hustle once upon a time during my old job. It’s the perfect way to get your hands dirty and then dive deeper.
Here are some of my side hustles that worked well:
Affiliate business for data products by adding great content on it that I’ve personally worked on, Tech products affiliate marketing that I’ve personally used and tested heavily, Freelance projects on interesting data problems.
Great list of tech side hustles.
My friend built these mini android apps mostly for the Hindi-speaking audience. Makes a good side income via apps like quote apps, etc.
Python to create API’s to be integrated with Facebook/Google (Inspired from you), Create training module products which will open up another revenue stream for my company.
Those were some of the tech side hustles you can start. The next step for you is to pick the side hustles that interest you from the above list and pursue them.
SEE ALSO: 75+ startup directories to submit your startup listing